[mythtv-users] Open Source Linux driver for Hauppauge HD PVR 2 (1080p over HDMI) released!

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Wed Mar 4 00:50:55 UTC 2015

At 10:06 PM +0000 3/3/15, Paul Harrison wrote:
>On 02/03/15 18:37, Full Name wrote:
>>Hauppauge has released an open source Linux driver for its HD PVR 2
>>model 1512, capable of capturing a 1080p video stream over HDMI.
>>
>>ftp://ftp.hauppauge.com/Support/Test/Lin/hauppauge_driver_src_ver5.tgz
>>
>>This is the only personal video recorder on the market that can
>>capture full HD video at 30 fps (1080p30) over HDMI and that has an
>>open source Linux driver.
>>
>>It would be great to have this driver merged upstream so that it
>>works with Linux out of the box. Could anyone ask the kernel
>>developers on the linux-media list
>>(http://www.linuxtv.org/lists.php) if they would be interested in
>>porting it?
>
>So has any HD PVR 2 owner tried this yet? I don't own one but
>curious to know if it works.
>
>It compiled OK here once I made the rebuild.sh executable and
>HDPVR2-testApp -h works but that is as far as I can go.

Interesting, it seems to support Mac OS X as well (at least 10.8+).

I couldn't find anything from Hauppauge about the status of this app
and their plans for it.  Links, anyone?

Even as it stands now, HDPVR2-testApp could conceivably be made to
work with Myth via the Import Recorder:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Import_recorder

One would have to develop scripts to start/stop recordings, etc.

Craig