[mythtv-users] ECS LIVA Frontend

Larry Kennedy lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 17:19:57 UTC 2015

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Scott Lipcon <slipcon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to add my experience - I bought one of the new ECS Liva-X models to
> use as a second frontend.  I got the higher end (4G/64G) model, but I think
> the 2G/32G one would work just as well.   It works ok as a frontend, but
> not without some difficulties.    I had to upgrade to Mythbuntu 14.10 (I
> would have preferred to use the 14.04 LTS releases) in order to get
> reliable HDMI audio.    It wont boot at all if the TV isn't powered on at
> boot-up, which is annoying but not a dealbreaker.  I spent the most time
> trying to get it to not lose its mind whenever the TV was off - I had to
> disable various screensaving/power saving options, DPMS, etc - either HDMI
> video wouldn't come back, or HDMI audio, or both - but eventually I got
> that set right, and it seems to be working well.

I was able to successfully deploy two Mythbuntu 12 frontends on the Liva,
but HDMI audio only worked after I did a kernel upgrade to 3.16 or
something like that.  I have one Liva hooked up to an Onkyo receiver, so it
is not directly connected to the TV.  The other Liva is connected directly
to the TV and I have not noticed any issues with booting.  I'll need to
check that to see if mine only boots properly if the TV is on.

> I also don't think I'm correctly using VAAPI - the software decode works
> well enough, with the CPU usage around 60-70% on top while playing back
> HDHR-CC content.    I don't know if future kernel/driver updates will allow
> the VAAPI to work, or solve the 'reboot with TV off' problem - but its good
> enough as-is, and for $220, I'm happy.   I also considered the older zotac
> boxes, but they seemed a bit less "turnkey" - having to add RAM and disk,
> or netboot, so it would be been a bit more expensive.

I think I tried both VAAPI and OpenGL and couldn't decide which one looked
better.  I never noticed CPU usage running that high with my HDHR HD
content.  I'll check into this and see what mine is doing.