[mythtv-users] ECS LIVA Frontend

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Tue Mar 3 17:02:49 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2 Mar 2015, James Miller wrote:

> I don't know if this will be relevant since it doesn't even involve Mythtv. I
> recently got a Liva X and have only played around with it a little--not long
> enough even to install an operating system, let alone Mythtv. I've got an old
> monitor (LC-37HV4U--formerly part of an old two-component Sharp LCD TV
> system) I've been trying to hook up to the Liva X via its HDMI port, running
> to an HDMI-to-DVI adapter on the monitor: I just wanted to look at BIOS
> settings at this point. But I can't get the LIVA X to output to the monitor

Looks like there's some crow on the menu for me. I fiddled around with the
unit a bit more yesterday and it seems what I said about video output via
the HDMI port was wrong. It takes a number of seconds (10-20?) during
which the monitor displays a "loss of sync" message, until the video
output via the HDMI port will display. But it does eventually display
video. I was able to view BIOS settings in my experiments yesterday, as
well as to boot the unit into a live-OS environment (tried Bodhi). So
apparently I was not waiting long enough in my initial testing, and took
the rather lengthy display of the "loss of sync" message as an indication
that no display would come through the HDMI port.

I decided to do a bit of further testing on the unit while booted into the
Bodhi live environment to see whether I could replicate any of the display
issues the last poster in this thread had mentioned. I let the OS blank
the monitor after a period of inactivity in order to see whether I would
have any problem getting the display back. I had no issues with that:
whether the monitor was left powered on while blanked, or whether it was
powered off, then powered on again some minutes later, I was able to get
the display back simply by moving the mouse or by pressing a key on the
keyboard. So I was unable to replicate, using a different distro, the
issue that user had reported with this hardware.