[mythtv-users] ECS LIVA Frontend

Scott Lipcon slipcon at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 14:02:11 UTC 2015

I also stopped xfsettingsd, and that prevented (one of the several) things
that caused it to go to sleep/die when the TV was off.   However, there
seems to be something with the ECS-X at least in where it doesn't even POST
if the TV is not on at boot - its not a matter of X not starting/probing
correctly, as I can't even ping the box if the TV isn't on at boot.

To add to my previous message - a kernel update this weekend made things
much worse.   Its very intermittent whether it boots with proper video,
audio, or both - just rebooting it several times in a row I get different
results.   If I use the kernel modeset options (video=HDMI-1:e) I get
fairly consistent video, but never audio.   I spent several hours fighting
it saturday, and eventually gave up and ran a 1/8" stereo cable out, and
have abandoned HDMI audio for now.   I don't have a receiver in the bedroom
anyway, so its good enough.

I agree there is something off in EDID - i get lots of EDID checksum errors
(never did with the same TV on my downstairs frontend, which has an nvidia
card) - however, the 'get-edid' command always hangs - never returns any
useful edid which I can save off.   I suspect the next step would be to
drag the TV back downstairs and grab the EDID using my other frontend....
but frankly I'm about at the end of the rope with this.     Perhaps the
older Liva boxes are better - and perhaps future kernel patches will
improve support for this one, but right now I'd recommend spending the
extra money on a Zotac ZBox of some sort.

Scott