[mythtv-users] Cheap frontend for HD

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 29 23:53:48 UTC 2015

> On 30 Jun 2015, at 2:43 am, "Stuart Auchterlonie" <stuarta at squashedfrog.net> wrote:
>
>> On 29/06/15 16:54, Tom Bongiorno Jr. wrote:
>>
>> I am so tempted to buy several of these ECS Livas. I want them to be the
>> go to solution for a cheap frontend, but the deinterlacer on the Intel
>> graphics within MythTV is just not up to par with VDPAU IMO. I found it
>> to be a deal breaker.
>>
>> Is my understanding correct that the Intel graphics linux drivers have
>> VDPAU quality deinterlacer capability, but integration needs to be added
>> to MythTV? I may have this wrong. I am no authority about what parts of
>> the decoding process are done by the graphics chip or the software.
>
> There is an API within VAAPI which supports de-interlacing in the Intel
> hardware.
>
> Sadly nobody has yet written any code to use this in MythTV :(
> so you are left utilizing software de-interlacing.
>

> Regards
> Stuart Auchterlonie

If I recall correctly Jean-Yves was the goto person for coding anything video decoding related, any chance we can convince him to pick this up? Although I am assuming that Jean-Yves simply doesn't have the time and / or capacity at the moment.

I periodically check on this ticket - https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12319 - and assume it falls into the same resource constrained category.