[mythtv-users] Can't get lirc or irw to work, but mode2 works

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 10:10:25 UTC 2015

On 28/06/15 20:57, Frank Phillips wrote:

> I wonder if a running lircd is interfering with the kernel decoding,
> since all protocols are enabled ? Try stopping lircd.

As of 0.9.0, lircd does not enable/disable any kernel protocol. More
recent versions updates the protocol to 'lirc' as required except when
using the devinput driver.

lircd using the devinput driver will obviously consume the decoded
button press events from the actual /dev/input/ device, making these
events more or less unavailable for other apps.

Using the 'default' driver, lircd reads from a /dev/lirc[0-9] device and
does not affect the kernel decoding.

When using other drivers there might be hardware conflicts. However,
nothing in this thread points in this direction - the only drivers
discussed are the 'default' and devinput one.

Cheers!

--alec