[mythtv-users] ECS Liva for frontend - brief report

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Jun 29 08:40:59 UTC 2015

On 29/06/15 02:15, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Larry,
>
> Monday, June 29, 2015, 2:21:05 AM, you wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 8:34 AM, Phil Wild <phil at holobyte.com.au> wrote:
>
>>> Encountered another issue under ubuntu 14.04.
>>>
>>> My LIVA is directly connected to the TV via HDMI. If I power cycle the
>>> TV while the LIVA is connected and turned on, I lose my video signal.
>>>
>>> Resolved by ensuring xfsettingsd does not auto-start
>>>

>> Phil,  can you elaborate a bit more on what you did to fix this?  I also
>> lose my video signal at times, depending on whether the connected A/V
>> receiver is on.
>
> You can force that hdmi is enabled at boottime by adding to your
> kernel bootstring in your bootloader:
> modeset=1 video=HDMI-0:e
>
> Depending on your videocard and driver it can be HDMI-1
> e stands for enable d for disable. It then shouldn't look wether it
> can detect a screen.

Basically this is all to do with hotplugging code. The video drivers are
basically too smart and re-evaluate everything every time they detect a change
on the display feeds, which is not what most people want.

Since most users won't be constantly unplugging a display/TV and connecting
another one, it doesn't make sense to sample the input and then reconfigure the
display. However, TV booting after PC and/or TV recycling (or any other output!)
is common and would produce these unwanted symptoms.

The best way to fix these is to turn off hotplugging, but I understand that this
can vary between different video drivers. We know what screen we have; we just
want it to work when it is available without all the attendant reconfiguring -
which might not even get it right.

--

Mike Perkins