[mythtv-users] Can't get lirc or irw to work, but mode2 works

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 02:19:24 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 10:13 PM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hoi Nick,
>
> Sunday, June 28, 2015, 3:54:49 AM, you wrote:
>
> > On 28 June 2015 at 02:26, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> At this point I've exhausted everything I can think of - perhaps time
> to buy
> >> a newer IR receiver, much as it annoys me to have to do so.
>
> > If you haven't already, check out
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2203116 as it might help.
>
> > The above thread includes a patch (and DKMS config to install the
> > patch if you're running a suitable kernel) which may fix the issue if
> > using xHCI hardware. The thread's OP included dmesg output showing
> > that they were using a receiver with "mce emulator interface version
> > 1".
>
> > When I just tested the above walk through on my Debian Stretch machine
> > earlier I should have added that it was running a 4.0.0 kernel with a
> > new Topseed MCE receiver that reports it's using "mce emulator
> > interface version 2".
>
> > I recently had lots of fun trying to debug IR issues when trying to
> > use an RC6-6A-20 remote control with an HP-branded (ids as FINTEK) MCE
> > receiver. Stuff just wasn't reaching the kernel properly. Nada. Zilch.
> > Many hours lost. Bought a new Topseed receiver (1784:0011) and
> > everything just worked.
>
> > Good luck!
> > Nick
>
> Could this be an usb-3 issue? Or does the Liva only have usb-2?
>
> Tot mails,
>   Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

I've seen lots of mentions of USB 3.0 being related to this, which makes me
think perhaps.  The Liva has one 2.0 and one 3.0.  I tried it in both ports
with equal results.  The BIOS has an option to turn off xhci, but it will
not allow it to be changed.

I looked through that thread - great find Nick, that's the best info I've
seen so far.  I'm not in the process of figuring out if my 3.16 has that
patch integrated, and if not, how to patch it.

-Jerry