[mythtv-users] Current state? - Cox channel changing

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 17:01:06 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 2:02 PM, Rod Smith <mythtv at rodsbooks.com> wrote:
> I'm with Cox in Rhode Island and I can record most of my channels via my
> HDHR Prime with cable card.

That is why I said "typically".  There are a couple of reported
exceptions, but it seems rare nationally.  Charter seems to be
completely random, but Cox is typically copy-once (with the less
common copy-freely) with the exception of the locals.  TWC is
almost universally (every franchise) copy-once except for locals,
Comcast has an official corporate policy which (other than premiums)
is copy-freely.  Recently "acquired" franchises of all providers
tend to have large variation until their engineering is borged into
the purchaser, although that can take ages due to consistent
engineering take a far background to branding and integration
of the front-end systems.

It is always worth checking for your specifics, but it needs
to be very specific to your franchise (which means having
to provide at least the city/state), since it can vary even
across the road to the other city.  Unless one is lucky,
often the greenbutton or tivo communities have better
coverage than this community for copy protection status
simply based on participant size.