[mythtv-users] Cheap frontend for HD

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 16:55:36 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 10:32 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> On 6/24/2015 9:39 AM, Larry Kennedy wrote:
>

> On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 12:20 PM, Tom Harris <thom.j.harris at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>  On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 8:54 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

>>>  I just forced it. You get used to it.
>>>

>>   I also tried Kodi, and while there is a learning curve in getting used
>> to the new UI, it's not a showstopper.
>>
>>  The blocker for me was the slow 'skip ahead' responsiveness.   Myth
>> Frontend is amazingly fast, Kodi on Openelec/Pi2 was slow.
>>
>>  I would definitely be willing to pitch in some cash if it would help
>> move a MythTV frontend along.
>>

>  Given that an ECS Liva can run a MythTV frontend very well, I have to
> wonder if the trade-offs in user satisfaction and the effort required to
> make MythTV work on a device that costs about half as much is worth it?
>

> And if that $80 price is for real, that is actually very close to the real
> price of a Raspberry Pi: $30 for the board, $10 for a case, $10 for memory,
> $10 for micro-USB cable and power plug, $10 for HDMI cable.

How is the deinterlacing on these cheap solutions?  When I accidentally
turned off the "Advanced(2x)" deinterlacer, I noticed a huge difference in
playback quality -- especially in scenes with motion.  Is there anything
that will get you that quality of deinterlacing besides a good VDPAU
enabled nVidia card?

John