[mythtv-users] multi-camera TV recordings?

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sat Jun 20 21:30:28 UTC 2015

On 17/06/15 13:37, Andre Newman wrote:

> On 16 Jun 2015, at 22:45, José Oliver Segura <primijos at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does anybody know if it's possible to record and play files with more than one video stream in them?
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out how to record and play "multi-camera" shows (mainly sports/motor events). I receive them via IPTV, each camera has its own multicast address and I've done some experiments in order to use avconv + the external recorder option (through a custom script) available in mythtv to make all those independent channels look like a single channel with multiple video streams in it.
>>
>> The problem is that the final step would be to be able to cycle among those video streams when playing back the recorded file, but I can't find any information about whether tha'ts possible or not in mythtv. I know dvd/blueray playback has some sort of multi-angle support, but I can't find nothing similar regarding recorded TV.
>
> I’ve used VLC for playback of full transport streams, they can have many channels within the same file. VLC allows you to select which channel to watch by name, even decodes subtitles and multiple audio streams. I’ve never found a way to do this with the same file in MythTV.
>
> I do have some multi angle DVDs, I just tried one from an iso file and there’s an angle menu which allows selection of the four video angles, maybe you could mux together the video streams in the same way a multi angle dvd does? Maybe ffmpeg can be persuaded to do this?
>
> I just tried a transport stream with several video channels in it and MythTV just plays the first one and there’s no select video stream menu like the select audio one.
>
> Andre
>

>> Any hint?
>>
>> Best,
>> Jose

I thought this query rang a bell but I didn't at the time find out
where.  Just came across an option in master in

Backend setup > Recording Profiles > Hardware DVB Encoders > Default >
Normal > Record Full .ts

"If set, extra files will be created for each recording with the name of
the recording followed by .ts.raw.  These extra files represent the full
contents of the transport stream used to generate the recording.
(For debugging purposes.)"

I haven't tried this and I can't say how it might fit into the OP's
scenario. I suppose one could set up a non-default profile and a new
recording rule.

It sounds as if this could provide a way of bypassing the fairly
arbitrary limit on the number of virtual tuners per physical DVB tuner,
but without the scheduling and metadata facilities, and at the cost of
extra post-processing.

HTH,

John P