[mythtv-users] Playback looks at screensize not at monitor or windowsize

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 09:07:15 UTC 2015

Hoi Karl,

Monday, June 15, 2015, 7:30:33 AM, you wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 3:12 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
> wrote:

>> On 06/14/2015 01:59 AM, Karl Newman wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 9:33 PM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Hoi Karl,
>>>
>>>     Sunday, June 14, 2015, 5:59:13 AM, you wrote:
>>>
>>>     > On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 12:12 PM, Michael T. Dean
>>>     <mtdean at thirdcontact.com <mailto:mtdean at thirdcontact.com>>
>>>     > wrote:
>>>
>>>     >> On 06/12/2015 09:42 AM, Karl Newman wrote:
>>>     >>
>>>     >>> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 11:58 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>>     >>>
>>>     >>>  and should not (ever--for anyone, even without Xinerama) set
>>>     the Playback
>>>     >>>> setting:
>>>     >>>>
>>>     >>>> Video aspect override
>>>     >>>> When enabled, these will override the aspect ratio specified
>>>     by any
>>>     >>>> broadcaster for all video streams.
>>>     >>>>
>>>     >>>> where, if (for anyone at all) it seems like "Video aspect
>>>     override" needs
>>>     >>>> to be set to get a proper display, you have misconfigured
>>>     something else
>>>     >>>> (like, for example, your X configuration for DPI/DisplaySize).
>>>     >>>>
>>>     >>>>  I dunno, I use this setting and it seemed to be the only way
>>>     I could get
>>>     >>> recordings to display correctly. My recordings are all 4:3 (from a
>>>     >>> PVR-500)
>>>     >>> and my TV is also 4:3, but I have to drive it with an HMDI to
>>>     Composite
>>>     >>> converter which looks like a 16:9 target to the computer. So
>>>     setting the
>>>     >>> aspect override to 16:9 is the only way video displays
>>>     correctly on the TV
>>>     >>> (otherwise it would squeeze and letterbox horizontally).
>>>     >>>
>>>     >>>
>>>     >> That just means you have X misconfigured.  If you're displaying
>>>     the image
>>>     >> on a physical display with a 4:3 aspect, you need to tell X to
>>>     use a 4:3
>>>     >> aspect.  I realize you're saying that the "autodetection" picks
>>>     up 16:9,
>>>     >> but you need to override that with an explicit setting because
>>>     it's wrong.
>>>     >>

>>>     > Any hints about how I'd do that? I searched around for setting
>>>     the aspect
>>>     > ratio on X but didn't turn up anything obvious. Maybe it just
>>>     assumes
>>>     > square pixels? If that's the case then I really do need that
>>>     setting in
>>>     > myth. Eventually it will be a moot point when I get around to
>>>     buying a new
>>>     > TV, but this is what I'm stuck with for now.

> [...]

My first thought was that your edid supplies it, but that's
impossible. You say you use a hdmi to composite converter, so no
datalines coming from the monitor/tv. Does the converter have some
programmable edid? What do you see in Xorg.0.log about the detection?
And how do you acquire the modelines? With my vga to scart interlaced
connection it took me a lot of trial and error, starting with default
PAL modelines, to get that optimized. My TV is even more complex. It's
a partially auto switching physical 16:9 display. But PAL is by
default 4:3. So all kinds of overscan and I had to fixate the
autoswitching with a signal on one of the scart pins.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop