[mythtv-users] Playback looks at screensize not at monitor or windowsize

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Sun Jun 14 03:59:13 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 12:12 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
wrote:

> On 06/12/2015 09:42 AM, Karl Newman wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 11:58 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>>  and should not (ever--for anyone, even without Xinerama) set the Playback
>>> setting:
>>>
>>> Video aspect override
>>> When enabled, these will override the aspect ratio specified by any
>>> broadcaster for all video streams.
>>>
>>> where, if (for anyone at all) it seems like "Video aspect override" needs
>>> to be set to get a proper display, you have misconfigured something else
>>> (like, for example, your X configuration for DPI/DisplaySize).
>>>
>>>  I dunno, I use this setting and it seemed to be the only way I could get
>> recordings to display correctly. My recordings are all 4:3 (from a
>> PVR-500)
>> and my TV is also 4:3, but I have to drive it with an HMDI to Composite
>> converter which looks like a 16:9 target to the computer. So setting the
>> aspect override to 16:9 is the only way video displays correctly on the TV
>> (otherwise it would squeeze and letterbox horizontally).
>>

> That just means you have X misconfigured.  If you're displaying the image
> on a physical display with a 4:3 aspect, you need to tell X to use a 4:3
> aspect.  I realize you're saying that the "autodetection" picks up 16:9,
> but you need to override that with an explicit setting because it's wrong.

Any hints about how I'd do that? I searched around for setting the aspect
ratio on X but didn't turn up anything obvious. Maybe it just assumes
square pixels? If that's the case then I really do need that setting in
myth. Eventually it will be a moot point when I get around to buying a new
TV, but this is what I'm stuck with for now.

Karl