[mythtv-users] How can I change channels on a Cisco HD271 DTA (with TWC)?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 18:40:50 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 4:47 PM, Ed Clark <eaclark at ameritech.net> wrote:
> Being a bit of a noob, I'm looking for suggestions as to how
> to determine what IR signals this remote is sending.

Never seen one of the 271's, but most of these DTAs
use the XMP protocol.  I suspect that one of the recent
Cisco XMP definitions in lirc will likely work, or try the
MotorolaDTA100-PaceDC50X one which worked on
previous gen DTAs (and shares most of the same
codes).

> Furthermore, what I'd ideally like to do is run a audio patch cable
> from the line out of the backend to the backend to the IR IN of
> the DTA.  Then, hopefully, I'd just play the appropriate WAV file to
> get the equivalent button press.  Thus skip using an IR blaster.
> But, that may be a pipe dream...

Likely a pipe dream.  IR bitrates are above the typical
audio reproduction levels (30-70 kps) (and then the sampling
multiplier for a wav file).
.
The typical solution is an ir blaster, and for the fancy,
an appropriate cable between your blaster and the ir
input on the DTA (for the paranoid, such as myself,
with an optical isolation ic in the middle).  I seem to
recall some being sold online, typically for TiVos, and
for the build it yourself crowd, various examples are
around.