[mythtv-users] Disable TurboSight IR driver ?

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 02:11:36 UTC 2015

On 10/06/15 00:43, Robin Gilks wrote:
> Gosh - what a game!!
>
> The latest problem is that the turbosight drivers for their PCIe DVB cards
> include an IR receiver driver. This is great until, like me, you want to
> use an IR blaster - in this case a trusty old mceusb device.
>
> At powerup, there is a race as to which /dev/lircX device gets allocated
> to what such that the wrong choice in the lircd setup means no blaster.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to turn off the IR drivers from TBS and just
> have the one - that way I'll be certain I'm trying to send to the correct
> device.

If you could turn off the driver that should certainly work.However, the
usual way to handle this kind of problem is to set up a udev rule which
creates a device with a fixed name which works the same way as lirc0.

No box at hand right now, but perhaps a rule like:

KERNEL == lirc*, DRIVER == mceusb, SYMLINK += lirc-mceusb

should be able to create a fixed device called /dev/lirc-mceusb which
could be used instead of /dev/lirc0, but always points to the mceusb
card. This is untested, and you might need to use "udevadm info" to find
the attributes, see  e. g., [1]. Google will show you lot's of udev
rules for linking devices.

Please report back, this is something which is missing in the upstream
lirc documentation.

Cheers!

--alec

[1] http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2015-June/379303.html