[mythtv-users] h.264 question

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Tue Jun 9 04:46:56 UTC 2015

On 6/8/2015 7:23 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 1:57 AM, Scott Chevalley <avalon at osguru.org> wrote:
>> So, my question is, can the Ceton decode an h.264 stream properly?
> The Ceton (and all digital tuner cards) do not decode the transport
> stream, they just pass it through to the application that does.  Your
> tuner is "good to go"(*).
>
> There are many reasons to for the '2048' message, sometimes it is
> a low bitrate stream (radio), and sometimes it is because the
> channel is actually copy protected (which MythTV cannot access).
> I believe there is some sort of Ceton diagnostic web page that
> could tell you the copy status of the program (the tuner status
> page if my recollection is correct from reports of those using a
> Ceton tuner).
>
> And sometimes it is something more complicated, such that
> you will have to turn up logging on your BE and/or FE to
> determine.

Here's how I check channels on my HDHR Prime:

A subscribed and unrestricted channel:

$ hdhomerun_config 131992E4 set /tuner2/vchannel 702
$ hdhomerun_config 131992E4 get /tuner2/vstatus
vch=702 name=KTVUD auth=subscribed cci=unrestricted cgms=n/a

An unsubscribed channel, HBO:

$ hdhomerun_config 131992E4 set /tuner2/vchannel 550
$ hdhomerun_config 131992E4 get /tuner2/vstatus
vch=550 name=HBO-E auth=not-subscribed cci=none cgms=none

This is interesting, a handful of channels that are part of my
subscription but marked copy-once so I can't use them with MythTV:

]$ hdhomerun_config 131992E4 set /tuner2/vchannel 528
$ hdhomerun_config 131992E4 get /tuner2/vstatus
vch=528 name=E-DRw auth=subscribed cci=protected-copyonce cgms=n/a