[mythtv-users] Comcast goes Mpeg4 in Atlanta

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 22:22:00 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 9:50 PM, david brooke <david2012brooke at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone asked about the quality of the mpeg4? Depending on the video bit
> rate, etc...the quality can be effected.

As one might expect, Comcast is not committing to anything
(just as they never committed to anything IRT MPEG2 quality).
Reports from the test market (Augusta) were minimal, and
anecdotal in nature.  My WAG is that the quality will be
targeted as being very slightly better to avoid people being
able to blame Comcast for turning the picture to crap (due
to this cut over), and to still get the maximum benefit (in
bandwidth savings) from the changes.  But as is well known,
video "quality" has some subjective components, so I have
no doubt some people will see the changes differently.

If someone has the interest (Mr. Brooke?), and can find a
MythTV user in Augusta, one might be able to get samples
for (the same) content that is still broadcast in other markets
in MPEG2, and do the comparison (for scientific studies
only, no copyrighted material would be viewed for human
consumption :-).