[mythtv-users] Comcast goes Mpeg4 in Atlanta

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 20:33:59 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 6:15 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
> Oh, I'm on Comcast in the SF Bay Area. I'm just getting my ducks in a row. I
> assume this will happen to us at some point.

Quack-Quack-Quack (the ducks are aligned).

If one wants to test MythTV for H.264 playback, there
are a number of free demo's out there (just download
a copy of Big Buck Bunny or one of the other blender
rendered videos) and throw them into your videos folder.

Certainly (well, almost certainly) the transition will happen
in the SF Bay Area, but only Comcast knows when.  In
theory they should be able to move more quickly than the
encryption of basic (because far fewer customers will be
impacted and/or need new equipment), but it will still require
training of CSRs to handle the calls, which takes time.
Personally, I will be happy when they do my area, mostly
to make it easier to play back the recordings on devices
without MPEG2 hardware decoding enabled/supported
(i.e. mobile devices).  The savings is space will be a
bonus.