[mythtv-users] Comcast goes Mpeg4 in Atlanta

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 17:51:56 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 5:16 PM, Ken Mandelberg <km at mathcs.emory.edu> wrote:
> I just got mail from Comcast saying that they are switching to MPEG4 for HD
> channels in a few weeks. I use an HDHomerun Prime with Mythtv. Will that be
> a problem?

It *should* not be, presuming that if you are using a graphics
card that is doing your decoding that it supports H.264 (some
older cards were "challenged"), or if you are using CPU
decoding it is sufficiently powerful.

In other parts of the world, H.264 is more widely utilized,
and has generally been reported to work well.

The HDHomeRun Prime is stream format agnostic
(it just moves the bits).  So it should not be an issue.

Note that this presumes you are not running an ancient
version of MythTV.

I am actually surprised the mail says just a few weeks.
Usually they send that information in the bills over a
month in advance so that people that have to upgrade
their equipment can do so.  And I believe some older
TiVo units cannot support H.264.  So notice typically
starts more than two weeks in advance (although, if
you ask Comcast, many people ignore the information
in the bills and mailings, and only call in when something
breaks).