[mythtv-users] VLC as external player means possible Chromecast support, right?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 18:30:16 UTC 2015

On a recent discussion today, the use of VLC as an external player was
mentioned. I didn't realize (or forgot) that this was an option for
playback, and it immediately reminded me of the news about upcoming
Chromecast support:
http://gizmodo.com/vlc-is-getting-chromecast-support-1686311413 .

This says to me that, in a perfect scenario where all the stars align, it
could be possible to cast playback of recordings to any screen hooked to a
Chromecast. Combine this with a wifi or smartphone remote (again, in theory
here), and one could have a centralized BE/FE machine and send the
recording output wherever one wanted. Does that make sense? Or am I
assuming too much?

It was mentioned that storage groups aren't supported with external players
- Is this a hard limitation or something that could be overcome with some
development effort (by people smarter than me)? I think being able to cast
recordings would be a fantastic feature, and this might be the easiest way
to make it happen.

On a barely related note, the newer builds of Chrome have a beta option to
cast one's entire screen, but I have yet to get it to work with MythTV. I
assume it has something to do with VDPAU and direct GPU access.

Thanks,
Matt