[mythtv-users] Anyone Using LIRC on CentOS 6.6?

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 06:24:02 UTC 2015

On 04/06/15 05:01, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> A user on the CentOS list suggested looking at the devinput driver. I
> started experimenting with it. But got no input. However I did not
> specify an input and there was no error by lircd.

Again, take a look at the link [1] below where this is both explained
and recommended as a first try. The devinput driver needs a
/dev/input/eventX type of device as --device argument to work.

Once it works, you need to wal around the changing device names. See
[1], Appendix 6.

>> If you use in-kernel support lircd.conf doesn't do much anymore. It's
>> all supplied by the kernel. Standard support will work without lircd
>> loaded. Only if you want to differentiate from the default or if your
>> device is not supported (like with blasters or my homebrew serial
>> device I have on one machine) you need lircd. In the new input layer
>> it's like with keyboards and mice, it just should works.

Using the devinput driver is really adding lirc's capabilities while
still using the kernel decoding. It's a good option if the kernel
decoding works - otherwise it doesn't make any sense.

> I'd like to use more than one remote, so I'm not sure how that works. Is
> your /etc/lirc/lircd.conf empty then? Would you post your udev rule for
> stable naming.

Also explained in [1], in appendix 8. For 0.9.0, the best option is
probably just to  paste the different lircd.conf files to a common one
(lircd.conf.d/ is not available, nor is including wildcard patterns.
Includeing files should work, but is basically not documented in 0.9.0).

Anyway, you really need to disable the kernel decoding if you want to
use lirc. What kind of write error did " echo -- 'lirc' >
/sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols" give? Does /sys/class/rc/rc0 exist? Did you
forget to do it as root (permission problem)?"

Cheers!

--alec

[1] http://lirc.sourceforge.net/lirc.org/html/configuration-guide.html