[mythtv-users] Changing default player to vlc doesn't take.

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Thu Jun 4 02:21:56 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 12:13:06PM +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
>      frontend or backend.  Is anyone running vlc as the default player
>      successfully?
>
>      Thanks for any help.
>
>    I don't think you can use an external player with storage groups.

I did not create any storage groups, I presume I have just the default
storage group if that is what myth chooses by default.

>    You do realise the myth native player can speed up playback?

I checked the key bindings, the only keys I found that did this were u
nad j.  Both of these turn off the sound.  It's essentially a way to
move forward faster like a dvd player, but it turns off the sound while
doing so.  Vlc not only doesn't turn off the sound but keeps the pitch
constant, so the accelerated speech is perfectly understandable even at
2x.

>      is being transcoded on the fly to the lower (720p) resolution I can
>      display.
>
>    Not transocded no, just rendered scaled taking into account whatever
>    dimensions your monitor is.

Ah, ok.

A.