[mythtv-users] Copying channel definitions from one instance of MythTV to another

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Jun 3 11:26:13 UTC 2015

On 03/06/15 10:33, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> I've been pointing that out here for literally years
>
> Yeah, but we all forget ... until the next time we have to rescan
>
>> , having suffered from the situation where my local transmitter frequencies are sandwiched between those from two other sites.
>
> Wow, you get 3 times as many channels as normal ;-)
>
> I've got friends with local and main - not too bad tuning their TVs as it's possible to unplug the aerial lead while it scans past the local one and then plug it in. But a couple of places get Moel-y-Parc as well as Winter Hill - that's a PITA as (like your situation) the muxes are interleaved. At Mum's, I solved it for their Humax box with an attenuator to get Moel-y-Parc below it's detection threshold.

Yup. My local is Hannington (8 miles) but I can also see Crystal Palace and Oxford.

I thought about sourcing a bandpass filter but there is almost an overlap
between the Hannington (50) and Crystal Palace (51) ranges and I don't think
they make filters that sharp.

My procedure is:

. Do a full scan. Use the internet to find out my local frequencies (and what's
on them).

. Delete all transports but one from the transmitter you want.

. Delete all remaining channels from the channel table so there is no
possibility of duplicates. Very occasionally I get channels with weird numbers
when they are present on all three transmitters, which means they don't get
overlaid with good info when I re-scan.

. Do a scan using the one remaining transport, ticking the box for related
transports.

Note: If you look at the console log while or after the scan, you will discover
that the location (ie "Hannington") is actually supplied for each transport. It
is unfortunate that this information isn't saved in the database or displayed in
the transport table edit screen.

Having that location present would make selection much easier. An even better
step would be to do a full scan and then be asked which transmitters you were
interested in.

--

Mike Perkins