[mythtv-users] Copying channel definitions from one instance of MythTV to another

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 03:30:07 UTC 2015

I'm playing around with moving my MythBackend to a new instance on a
different machine. At this point I don't want to backup from one and
restore to the other. Setting up the channels on the new MythBackend seems
painful. For example, at the completion of the scan (Australian DVB-T) it
says that there are duplicate channel numbers and asks me to enter a
channel number for each and every one of the 90 or so channels it's found.

Is there a way to export the channel information I have in the original
MythBackend and importing that into the new one?

I've looked around and I'm confused about the purpose of channels.conf.

I also found this -
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Restore_xmltvids_after_a_channel_scan
- but it appears that it will just UPDATE already-defined channels with
XMLTV IDs. I'm trying to find a way of importing all the channel
information. Is this possible?