[mythtv-users] Help debugging audio problems

Jim jim_32766 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 29 00:05:06 UTC 2015

Do you have speakers connected in some fashion to the HDMI output and
the onboard audio output? If not, you may not notice that the sound
isn't gone, but redirected.

I have experienced a situation similar to the one you describe and
determined that the sound wasn't missing, it was just on the other
device. The next time you encounter this problem check your active sound
configuration to see if both are truly "off" or if the onboard sound is
"on".

I am not familiar with Debian but expect there is a graphical sound
interface that you can access to make this determination. You can also
use the command 'inxi -A' to determine your sound configuration, and
'pactl info' to find out what is current set as default.

If that shows that the onboard audio is sometimes the default, when you
wish it were the HDMI, you can add a few commands to the start-up to set
it straight at each power-up.