[mythtv-users] CD Artist-Title-Track Information Incorrect

Jim jim_32766 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 27 18:14:42 UTC 2015

In an attempt to improve my understanding of the problem with the CD
information, I reviewed the mythtv mythmusic plugin source code. I can
see in cddb.cpp where a change was made to the URL used for the CD
information look-up. Lines 28 and 29 are as follows:

//static const char URL[] = "http://freedb.freedb.org/~cddb/cddb.cgi?cmd=";
static const char URL[] =
"http://freedb.musicbrainz.org/~cddb/cddb.cgi?cmd=";

Using cddb-tool for query and read of the two sites, and using a number
of CDs as test cases, I've found the correct information can be found
via both freedb and musicbrainz. However, there are often more inexact
matches to be processed in the output from musicbrainz. In the instances
where myhtv currently fails to display the correct CD information it is
because the correct choice is not selected from the list of inexact
matches. Also, musicbrainz does not as frequently provide the correct genre.

This leads me to a couple of questions:

1) What drove the change from freedb to musicbrainz? Is one expected to
be a longer term solution, have a superior database, etc?

2) Would switching the URL back to freedb instead of musicbrainz solve
the problem I encountered? Or has other code been modified in
association with the change to musicbrainz.

3) If musicbrainz needs to be used as the primary source, could freedb
also be contacted and its output used to disambiguate when musicbrainz
supplies a list of inexact matches?

I don't know enough about programming to fully comprehend what else is
occurring in cddb.cpp, or to make these changes myself. Hopefully these
notes can help in some way address this topic.