[mythtv-users] HDhome run prime recording copy protection

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 21:26:07 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 8:57 PM, Oz Dror <odror7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is my understanding thet HDhomerun can record under linux a copy
> protected shows

Not really.  While it is possible to collect the raw encrypted bits
from the cable(*), nothing can view the content as it is encrypted.
In the case of MythTV, since the stream is encrypted, MythTV
cannot find the necessary descriptors in the data to even know
what to capture, so it usually gives up and reports an error rather
quickly.

Currently, WMC and TiVo are the only two consumer purchasable
devices that can record and store protected content (and, of course,
your providers STB).  Some new offerings are targeted for later in
the year that are intended to support a Linux based recorder, but,
still, protected content will require systems that implement
protected path (Windows, Mac (OS X and/or iOS), and Android
are the likely targets) for viewing.  All of these DVRs are proprietary
solutions, of course.  MythTV is not a part of the ecosystem.

Many people wishing to view protected content on Linux with
MythTV use a device such as the HD-PVR (original model) which
exploits the analogue "hole" of a STBs component outputs.

(*) Windows (and I believe TiVo) obtains the data in a way such
that it can store the data in its own, unique, encrypted format
readable by itself, but nothing else.