[mythtv-users] LIRC not detecting certain keypresses with MCE remotes (modifiers?)

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Jul 23 10:52:15 UTC 2015

On 23/07/15 11:01, Tim Draper wrote:

> ---- On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 10:50:50 +0100 Alec Leamas<leamas.alec at gmail.com> wrote ----
>   > On 23/07/15 11:15, Tim Draper wrote:
>   >
>   > > looks like i found the issue but still struggling to get setup..
>   > > the problem is that the NUC has 2 IR receivers (/dev/input/event4 (default) and .../event5 (MCE receiver)). LIRC/irw is currently using event4 and ignoring the event5 signals.
>   > >
>   > > i think my problem now is I can't find where LIRC has event4 input defined. it's obviously set somewhere as manually defining event5 works ('lircd -d /dev/input/event5', then use irw to monitor). my /etc/lirc/hardware.conf is here: http://pastebin.com/dgaprdX5
>   > > Looks like i need to configure /dev/lirc0, but how? I am on the belief that *something* writes to /dev/lirc0, but been unable to find what to reconfigure it.
>   > >
>   > > thanks for any help..
>   >
>   > Your hardware.conf:
>   >
>   > > REMOTE="Linux input layer (/dev/input/eventX)"
>   > > REMOTE_MODULES=""
>   > > REMOTE_DRIVER="devinput"
>   > > REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
>   > > REMOTE_SOCKET=""
>   > > REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="devinput/lircd.conf.devinput"
>   > > REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""
>   >
>   >
>   > doesn't really make any sense. Using the devinput driver implies that
>   > that the input device should be the event device. The /dev/lirc0 device
>   > id not used at all by the devinput driver.
>   >
>   > In fact, you might need to disable the /dev/lirc0 device. There might
>   > also be issues with the /dev/input/event4 device after reboot; the
>   > device numbering is not defined, so it might pop as another event
>   > device. See http://www.lirc.org/html/configuration-guide.html. This is
>   > for recent lirc (ubuntu's 0.9.0 is really old) but should apply for
>   > these issues.
>   >
>   > HTH.
>   >
>   > Cheers!
>   >
>   > --alec
>
> your right, it doesnt make sense. i've just used mythbuntu-control-center (MCC) to set the LIRC device type as the Linux Input Layer type (from the MCE remote option). the hardware.conf is whats been generated so far.
> Ofc, i could be doing this all wrong... maybe i use the MCE Remote option in MCC, and set the device to /dev/input/event5.
>
> partly i don't fully understand the interaction of LIRC with multiple receivers even after reading through various guides and info, so i'm not sure which options i need - i'm in a trial state to see what works and what doesn't.

> [...]
If these are input event devices, then whichever you ultimately use you
shouldn't need LIRC at all. All this stuff is bundled in the kernel now.

The only reason you need LIRC for input these days is for non-standard devices,
like build-your-own serial receivers. Of course, you still do need LIRC for
blaster output.

--

Mike Perkins