[mythtv-users] ECS Liva for frontend - brief report

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 14:45:06 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 10:55 PM, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 10:11 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> > I haven't tried this yet, but this seems to be a very simple solution to
>> > the
>> > video signal problem ...
>> >
>> > http://extremelycashpoor.com/2014/11/ecs-liva-setup-part-3/
>> > (I assume it works as we're all talking about the same hardware)
>> >

>> that page appears to be down, mind rehashing what it said to do?
>

> Steve, running a plain ubuntu 15.04 install, I found my LIVA would keep the
> hdmi connection alive.  It would last through turning the TV off and on and
> also through turning the A/V receiver off and on (and switching inputs).  I
> didn't have to modify the kernel boot string or anything else - it just
> worked.  YMMV, but worth trying.
>
> -Jerry

Interesting. I've got 14.04 installed. It appears the issue I'm having
may be slightly different. Through our Denon receiver it does not open
up the HDMI connection, however connected directly to the TV it does.
I normally have an NVidia GT220 connected, and know that the Denon
passes along it's own EDID, and I've captured the TV's EDID and "force
fed" it to the NVidia driver to get it to work "best".

I'm now wondering if the issue is I need to take this captured EDID
bin and figure out how to "force" the Intel driver to use it and
ignore the EDID the Denon passes along?

In case anyone has done such a thing and can supply some help? thanks!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!