[mythtv-users] Debian update fails mythtv-database (re)configure

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Wed Jul 22 00:37:59 UTC 2015

>>> Is woden the machine you're trying to install on?
>>>
>>> Do you have /etc/mythtv/config.xml and /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
>>> configured to use "wodin" or "localhost" as DBHostName?  In /etc/hosts
>>> does woden map to 127.0.0.1 or an external IP address?  Does the mysql
>>> command line client connect if you just type "mysql mythconverg" as
>>> root with no password?  What about "mysql -h woden mythconverg"?
>>
>> Hi Eric
>>
>> I think you might be onto something there. The root user is set up with
>> mysql password so
>>    mysql -u root -p mythconverg
>> works OK but
>>    mysql -h woden -u root -p mythconverg
>> fails with "ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user
>> 'root'@'woden.localdomain' to database 'mythconverg'"
>>
>> I seem to have a few variations of the root user
>>
>> mysql> select user,host from user;
>> +------------------+-------------------+
>> | user             | host              |
>> +------------------+-------------------+
>> | root             | localhost         |
>> | root             | woden             |
>> | root             | 127.0.0.1         |
>> | root             | ::1               |
>> | root             | woden.localdomain |
>> | root             | %                 |
>> +------------------+-------------------+
>>
>> Doing a "SHOW GRANT" for each of these, they all have
>>  GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'root'@'.....'
>> apart from the problem one which was
>>  GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'root'@'woden.localdomain'
>>
>> Having changed that, at least I can now login with the '-h' host switch
>> but it makes not a jot of difference
>>

>> # apt-get -f install
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
>> 2 not fully installed or removed.
>> After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
>> Setting up mythtv-database (0.27.5-dmo2) ...
>> Failed to execute SQL: GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON mythconverg.* TO
>> mythtv at localhost IDENTIFIED BY '********'
>> Access denied for user 'root'@'woden.localdomain' to database
>> 'mythconverg' at -e line 8, <> line 1.
>> dpkg: error processing package mythtv-database (--configure):
>> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status
>> 255
>> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mythtv:
>> mythtv depends on mythtv-database (>= 0.27.5-dmo2); however:
>>  Package mythtv-database is not configured yet.
>>
>> dpkg: error processing package mythtv (--configure):
>> dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>> Errors were encountered while processing:
>> mythtv-database
>> mythtv
>> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>>
>> Hmmmmm
>>
>> --
>> Robin Gilks

> What about "mysql -h woden.localdomain mythconverg"?

That user has a password so I need a -p switch in there. It connects OK.

> If you list all the hashed passwords for all your MySQL root users are
> they all identical? Or have you tried resetting all the root MySQL
> passwords to be the same thing?

Sorry - meant to say that I'd already checked that! Two of them were
different - but not any more!!

I did at one stage find out how to determine just what root password the
config script was using - I seem to have lost that information now :(

Can I just hack something to make the package manager think it had
completed OK?

--
Robin Gilks