[mythtv-users] Debian update fails mythtv-database (re)configure

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Tue Jul 21 22:27:58 UTC 2015

>> Another couple of weeks and I've still not solved it.
>>
>> All the passwords etc match up so no idea where it fails.
>
> Is woden the machine you're trying to install on?
>
> Do you have /etc/mythtv/config.xml and /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
> configured to use "wodin" or "localhost" as DBHostName?  In /etc/hosts
> does woden map to 127.0.0.1 or an external IP address?  Does the mysql
> command line client connect if you just type "mysql mythconverg" as
> root with no password?  What about "mysql -h woden mythconverg"?

Hi Eric

I think you might be onto something there. The root user is set up with a
mysql password so
    mysql -u root -p mythconverg
works OK but
    mysql -h woden -u root -p mythconverg
fails with "ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user
'root'@'woden.localdomain' to database 'mythconverg'"

I seem to have a few variations of the root user

mysql> select user,host from user;
+------------------+-------------------+
| user             | host              |
+------------------+-------------------+
| root             | localhost         |
| root             | woden             |
| root             | 127.0.0.1         |
| root             | ::1               |
| root             | woden.localdomain |
| root             | %                 |
+------------------+-------------------+

Doing a "SHOW GRANT" for each of these, they all have
  GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'root'@'.....'
apart from the problem one which was
  GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'root'@'woden.localdomain'

Having changed that, at least I can now login with the '-h' host switch
but it makes not a jot of difference

# apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up mythtv-database (0.27.5-dmo2) ...
Failed to execute SQL: GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON mythconverg.* TO
mythtv at localhost IDENTIFIED BY '********'
Access denied for user 'root'@'woden.localdomain' to database
'mythconverg' at -e line 8, <> line 1.
dpkg: error processing package mythtv-database (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 255
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mythtv:
 mythtv depends on mythtv-database (>= 0.27.5-dmo2); however:
  Package mythtv-database is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package mythtv (--configure):
 mythtv-database
 mythtv

Hmmmmm

--