[mythtv-users] CCI Copy Freely Letter Campaign

Brendan Kearney bpk678 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 14:41:54 UTC 2015

On 07/19/2015 06:02 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 19/07/15 10:07, Simon Hobson wrote:
>> Nigel Jewell <nigel.jewell at grufty.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm based in a region where this issue doesn't directly affect me,
>>> however out of interest I took a look at your letter.
>>
>> Ditto, I'm in the UK - though what happens "over there" tends to get
>> imported sooner or later :-(
>>
> In this case, in the UK, we are already well past that point.
>
> Here, there is no alternative of a cable card for any of the service
> suppliers (BT Vision, Virgin Media and Sky. There are probably
> others). You get one of their Set Top Boxes and you are stuck with that.
>
> Some boxes do come with SCART outputs - whoop-de-do, SD output via RGB
> or composite! Wow! Other boxes have only HDMI outputs.
>
> We dumped Virgin Media a while back and took out BT Vision instead, on
> cost grounds. The box BT supply doesn't obey the HDMI specs, leaving
> the 'active' signal up even when it is in standby, and complains
> bitterly whenever I plug something into one of the TV's other HDMI
> inputs - what business is it of BT what I plug into my TV? (Mythtv, of
> course, but it could as easily be a Blu-Ray player or an XBox.)
>
> So, this is one rare example where the US has tried to get it right.
> It doesn't surprise me that the networks attempt to game the system
> every chance they get, but in the UK they do what they like and nobody
> seems to care.

i am not sure if it has been discussed, but it seems to me that Fox (or
other content providers) does not dictate the value of the CCI flag,
more that the service provider does.  take for example the CCI scanner
database...

http://www.ronfrazier.net/mythtv/cci/index.php

this shows that the CCI flag setting  may not even be at the service
provider level, but at the franchise level.  i would think some
hierarchy decision flow may be in place, where the service provider says
these channels have to get these flags set or a minimum value must be
set, and leaves decisions around more restrictive values or other
channels that are not globally dictated up to the franchise to decide.

my point is the content providers may not be the (only) audience to
effect change.  the service providers and franchises likely play a
significant role in the decision process, too.