[mythtv-users] FIOS copy protecting national Fox channels

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Jul 16 22:03:54 UTC 2015

On 16/07/15 22:00, David Engel wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 04:39:56PM +0000, Brian Sanders wrote:
>> I would be interested in a letter writing campaign.
>>
>> Mohu is an antenna I take it (from the quick google search I did).  As it
>> stands right now, the channels that are being CCI protected are cable only,
>> so I don't think that is going to help you any.  If someone has some
>> experience with the HD-PVR stability, I might pick one of those up from
>> ebay.  I just hate that recording my own shows is getting harder and
>> harder, while downloading them illegally would be so much easier.
>
> I have two HD-PVRs from my Time Warner days.  In my experience, they
> tended to be pretty temperamental.  A lot of that was probably due to
> the USB controller on my backend at the time and on the firmware on
> the STB.  I'm debating on whether or not I want to break one back out.
> I hate the idea of having to pay for an HD STB (I don't currently have
> any) just for a few channels.

Are you slightly confused here? As I understand matters an HD-PVR would only
take an HD-quality analog signal and re-digitize it; to have that input signal
you must have a STB capable of outputting HD in the first place.

Since you say you don't have any HD STB the HD-PVR isn't going to gain you
anything HD-wise. It /will/ permit you to capture SD quality signal from your
existing cable box, however, where the option of a cable card is not possible.

--

Mike Perkins