[mythtv-users] ir-keytables, should I bother?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Jul 16 18:09:17 UTC 2015

On 16/07/15 17:43, Erik Hovland wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 7:38 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 5:08 AM, Mike Perkins
>> <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:

>>> Don't forget that mythtv also recognizes plain alphabetic codes for when a
>>> keyboard is used.
>>>
>>> One solution, therefore, is to make your own keytable up which translates
>>> the input (8-bit) codes into the corresponding standard keypresses which
>>> would be acceptable to X.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Mike Perkins
>>

>> right, the thing is, ir-keytables doesn't let you use CTRL or ALT
>> keypresses, so it limits things a bit. I also don't know if MythTV
>> will work with the Japanese characters, though I don't see why not.
>> (haven't had a chance to test yet)
>
> Second this. I have the ortek IR receivers that work fine BUT the menu
> button corresponds to ^M. This means I am stuck remapping with xmodmap
> or some other scheme. I have used this wiki page to get really far:
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HID_Remotes
>
> But the last bit escapes me. If anyone has already figured this out,
> please educate me.
>
> Don't get me wrong, the whole HID remote situation seems way easier
> then the Bad Old Days where we hacked away at our kernels, device
> files and config files to get LIRC running - but there are a few
> issues that the HID remotes don't solve very well.

(Scratches Head)

I'm not sure I understand. If I use a normal keyboard, Menu = 'm'. I don't use
any Ctrl or Alt options using a keyboard. In fact, I don't even make use of the
Shift keys. It all just works with unshifted alpha characters (plus some of the
special characters like < and >)

--

Mike Perkins