[mythtv-users] FIOS copy protecting national Fox channels

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 16:11:44 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 3:55 PM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> From Verizon Direct:
>> Sorry for the inconvenience, after doing some digging around we
>> found that the copy-once was implemented on those national services
>> at provider request.
>
> :( Guess I'll be sending a nastygram off to Fox and Verizon corporate.

Well, it is at least an answer.  And it is 100% in their rights to
make such a choice (not that you have to like it).  Only OTA
in the US is legally required to be free of content protection.
Looks like you have to put up that antenna after all.

It should be noted that Fox has been one of the most aggressive
companies regarding limiting (re)use of their copyrighted content
without permissions (and payment of fees, never forget the fees).

In those cases where they have lost initial court cases regarding
interpretation of their contracts they have played the long game
to change the contract in the next renewal cycle.  You have to
give them credit for their tenacity, if not the goals themselves.