[mythtv-users] Change filesystem format in place?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Jul 13 17:42:01 UTC 2015

On 07/13/15 10:00, Gordon McCrae wrote:
> On 13/07/15 14:14, Dan Wilga wrote:
>> On 7/11/15 10:07 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
>>> I currently have a 2TB drive formatted EXT4 and I'm considering
>>> moving to XFS but I don't have a spare 2TB drive to move the
>>> recordings to.hase a spare yourself.
>
> Also....
>
> Why bother? All of my storage is still EXT4 and I've never had a
> problem, so while XFS (and others) may be the "ideal" in some peoples
> minds, I don't personally believe the FS choice will make a massive
> difference to your MythTV experience.

The advantage of XFS is that it allocates massive chunks of disk space
at a time. (Effectively making a "sector" some 512M or 1G in size).
XFS also deletes waaaayyy faster than XFS, which has some advantages now
that mythtv does not seem to *ever* delete anything except through
auto-delete when it wants the space.

According to phoronix' benchmarks, xfs is a little faster overall than
ext4, but nothing amazing for our usage.

I would suggest that you watch for a special at the computer store for
an external USB3 drive, buy that, use it to do the re-build, and then
use the external to create an archive of all your important data.

Geoff