[mythtv-users] how properly to rescan channels

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Jul 12 14:40:24 UTC 2015

On 12/07/15 15:12, UB40D wrote:
> On 12 July 2015 at 14:42, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hoi UB40D,
>>
>> Sunday, July 12, 2015, 3:46:17 PM, you wrote:

>>> Yes I did, following Mike's recommendation above. (I also wrote I did.)

>>> But that's besides the point. The dvb-s scan would not have found any
>> more
>>> dvb-s2 HD channels, would it? And yet I got 10 variations of the same HD
>>> channel.
>>
>> Are they the same? Or only the same content? Compare transports etc.
>> I have no real experience with dvb-s, only dvb-c. But could it be you
>> do receive multiple sources over your receiver?
>>

> I wish I could attach a screen shot (or that I could copy the text of it
> without retyping it all) but it seems there are duplicate channels with
> different channel numbers, as if the broadcaster sent the same stuff over
> many "channels" (in the satellite's sense of the word).
> For example, in the channel editor I see ITV HD listed 4 times, at numbers
> 21000, 21010, 21020, 21030.
>
> I also apologize and correct my previous answer: I did not delete all video
> sources (I thought I did); instead, I deleted all capture cards.

Yep. Deleting all capture cards won't help. Once you have correctly defined your
cards you shouldn't need to touch that menu option again. You must delete all
video sources. Where you got the EIT entry I don't know, since I have never seen
that on the sources screen and it wouldn't make sense anyway.

A video source is the link between your capture card(s) and your list of
channels. It defines which channels are available and how you acquire them ie in
your case tune them. (Other "capture cards" may in fact be Internet feeds or
other methods of supplying input.)

Because of this the video source also defines the channels you can receive using
the cards associated with it. That's why the scan options are under the source
menu item, but certainly for DVB-T you can also do scans from within the channel
editor screen. You may get more options that way.

As I mentioned EIT is just a method of providing program info and is available
on *all* transmission methods, except analog which is mostly obsolete anyway.

Oh, and remember that not all channels transmit 24/7. Some like CBBC and BBC3,
BBC4 are part-time, which means that any scan may happen in a period when they
are off-air. This can cause fun when scheduling subsequently...

--

Mike Perkins