[mythtv-users] how properly to rescan channels

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sat Jul 11 17:53:21 UTC 2015

On 11/07/15 18:07, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi UB40D,
>
> Saturday, July 11, 2015, 6:30:25 PM, you wrote:
>
>> On 11 July 2015 at 17:17, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:
>

>>> I have looked around in capture cards, video sources, input connections
>>>>

>>> I usually see that it's set to start on channel 'please add' - but I think
>>> it's inviting you to edit the starting channel in 'input connections.'
>

>> Mmh, yes, in input connections there is a field called
>> startng channel
>> with a value of
>> please add channels to this source
>> and there seems to be no way to enter any other value; the left-right
>> arrows have no effect, the up-down arrows move to another field and typing
>> a number doesn't work. So I don't see anything I can edit there.
>
> As far as I remember this is not fatal and the field gets reset to the
> last channel used on livetv. You should be able to type a channel
> number or parse through available channels with left/right.

I believe you can only select a number there when you have populated the
list of channels by doing a scan - but as Hika says, it isn't fatal to
leave it unset.

>>> The 'yes please' simply gives you an opportunity to correct something that
>>> it sees as a problem, and 'I know what I'm doing' is almost always untrue...
>>>

>> Neither of them fixes anything, as I understand:
>> Yes please = throws you back in the main menu of the backend setup
>> (presumably so you can fix the things it flagged)
>> I know what I'm doing = exits the setup (presumably because you believe the
>> warning was incorrect)
>
>> There isn't an option to "fix the detected problem in some reasonable way".
>
>> I still don't know how to make card 1 start on any other channel...
>
>>> What should I do to clean out all channels, rescan what works today and
>>>>

>>> I don't have any DVB-S experience, but with DVB-T, 'scan all known
>>> transports' usually works as an update once I've settled on the ones I need
>>> - which rarely change and can often be chosen from published lists.
>>>

>> Where is this option found?
>
>> So far I have seen
>
>> input connections / scan for channels
>
>> and
>> channel editor / channel scan
>
>> both of which take me to the same screen which takes about half an hour to
>> complete a scan.
>
>> Where is "scan all known transports"? Or is it a DVB-T-only thing?

The DVB-T Channel editor page has a Transport editor, and once you have
some transports (partially) defined there are several options in Scan
for Channels.  Don't know about DVB-S.  I always scan from the Channel
editor pages, not from input connections.

>> In any case, if I begin with
>> channel editor / delete channels
>> why do I still get those leftovers about starting at 3897?
>> What's the proper way to start from a clean slate?

This sounds like a 'Delete ALL tuner cards' thing in the cards setup
screen.  I'm sorry, but I don't like scanning menu options in
mythtvsetup when I have a backend running..