[mythtv-users] Change filesystem format in place?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Jul 11 17:49:44 UTC 2015

Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking:
>
> 1. expire just enough old recordings to create a decent amount of space
> 2. shrink the ext4 partition as much as possible
> 3. create an xfs partition
> 4. move as many recordings that fit to the xfs partition
> 5. Repeat steps 2-4 until I can remove the ext4 partition and use the whole drive for xfs.

There is a slight problem ...
1 is OK, 2 is OK, 3 is OK, as is 4
But, after these 4 steps you are left with your EXT4 partition at the beginning of the disk, with the XFS partition following it. When you shrink the EXT4 partition the second time, you have a gap which is *before* the XFS partition - and to extend it, (AFAIK) you'll need the space after it. That means you have to physically move the XFS partition each time - and that's a critical operation which could easily lose your data if it gets interrupted.