[mythtv-users] how properly to rescan channels

UB40D ub40dd at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 11 15:14:31 UTC 2015

Executive summary:

how do I do a clean scan for channels, keeping only stuff that works and
without having to edit lots of channel numbers by hand?

Gory details:

I have a DVB-S2 setup and for the past few weeks I had failures on NHK HD
recordings where an entry would appear in the recordings but, upon clicking
on it, the system would say that there was no such video (so I then had to
delete the entry manually).

Since I was not able to view that channel manually as live TV, I thought
that perhaps the channel itself had changed (though why would it still be
on the EIT?) and that it was time for a rescan.

I went into mythtv backend setup.
Input connections
DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 (dvbinput -> EIT)
scan for channels

using the parameters at
http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_freesat.php
namely

Freq: 10847000
Polarity: Vertical
Symbol rate: 23000000
Mod Sys: DVB-S2
FEC: 2/3
Modulation: 8PSK
Inversion: leave at auto
Rolloff: leave at 0.35

and I got to a stage where it said there were a bunch of off-air channels
(?), with incomprehensible options to delete all, set as invisible, ignore
all. I did delete all. I had a variety of similarly unexplained queries and
got stuck when it kept on asking to reassign conflicting channels to other
channel numbers, manually, for dozens of channels. So I gave up, went in
the channel editor, did delete all, then redid scan for channels.

This appeared to work, but on trying to exit the backend setup I get a
dialog box (partly unreadable as the end of the message is chopped off)
that says

Card 1 (type dvbinput) is set to start on channel 3897, which does not
exist. Card 2 (type dvbinput) is set to start on channel 3897, which do..

and the two options are
Yes please
No, I know what I am doing

Yes please WHAT?
Anyway, clicking Yes please just dismisses the dialog box, leaving me in
the backend setup.

I have looked around in capture cards, video sources, input connections etc
and I cannot find where it says that card 1 is set to start on channel 3897
or any other channel.

What should I do to clean out all channels, rescan what works today and be
done with it?

Note also I have 2 tuners and I'd like not to get a bunch of duplicate
entries for each channel is possible.

Thank you