[mythtv-users] From panicked to puzzled

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Thu Jul 9 19:44:53 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-07-08 at 21:23 -0400, Rick wrote:
> On 07/07/2015 07:14 PM, Rick wrote:

> >>     1) git update - For main mythtv source
> >>     2) run Configure (for me that means this command line:  ./configure
> >>     --prefix=/usr/local/mythtv.0.27 --disable-mythlogserver --enable-vdpau
> >>     --with-bindings=perl
> >>     3) make
> >>     4) make install (this is what I mean by install the binaries)
> >>     5) ldconfig as root (to update the cache of shared libraries)
> >>
> >>     6) git update - for plugins
> >>     7) run configure : ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mythtv.0.27
> >>     --disable-mythgame --enable-mythbrowser --enable-mythzoneminder
> >>     --enable-mythnetvision --enable-m
> >>     ythnews --disable-mythweather
> >>     8) make
> >>     9) make install
> >>     10) ldconfig as root
> >>

> >> ... shouldn't you do step (9) as root also?
> >

> > The target directory for the install is writable by the id doing the
> > install so root isn't needed.
> >
> I found the problem.  Why it's a problem is not clear to me but the
> cause of the problem was using QT5 instead of QT4.  Once I removed the
> QT5 libraries and compiled with QT4, everything worked again.  I
> wouldn't have noticed it without using the Mageia 5 mythbackend package.
>  For what it's worth, that Mageia 5 backend package is from Oct 2014 so
> that is considerably older than what I was running.

Hi Rick
If you are using ./configure with every build (& updating a local git
copy/clone) then you are likely doing this infrequently & so should be
running "make clean" & "make distclean" first..

A problem arises with transition from Qt4 to Qt5.. the Qt5 qmake fails
to "clean" Qt4 makefiles & moc files (AIUIK).
You can fix this by running make clean & distclean before upgrading Qt
or can use sometime similar to "./configure --qmake=/usr/bin/qtmake-qt4"
to then get "make clean & distclean" to run..
Then go back to your ./configure cmd afterwards..

If you do "git pull" inside your local mythtv source git repository, it
updates the mythtv & mythplugins folders. So your step (6) is not good.