[mythtv-users] ir-keytables, should I bother?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 02:38:38 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 5:08 AM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> On 04/07/15 16:53, Steven Adeff wrote:
>>
>> new frontend with Ubuntu 14.04 and the new system uses the
>> "ir-keytables" thing. as those that have tried it have noticed, X
>> doesn't recognize a lot of remote commands with this system because
>> they are out of it's range of recognition. It is possible to remap the
>> buttons to something X can recognize, however, it's a bit of a pain,
>> and does not seem as flexible as the old LIRC method.
>>
>> Is the ir-keytable issue with X something that will be resolved in the
>> future, or will mythfrontend ever be able to recognize these commands
>> regardless of X, such that I should try to get it to work to my
>> liking, or should I just abandon the whole endeavor and get LIRC
>> running?
>>
>> I would also like to be able to do something like what irexec does,
>> that let's me run a command outside of mythtv/X using a remote control
>> button, but I don't see a way to do this. I've tried xbindkeys but it
>> does not seem to recognize any buttons on the remote as keyboard
>> presses.
>>
>> thanks!
>>
> Don't forget that mythtv also recognizes plain alphabetic codes for when a
> keyboard is used.
>
> One solution, therefore, is to make your own keytable up which translates
> the input (8-bit) codes into the corresponding standard keypresses which
> would be acceptable to X.
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

right, the thing is, ir-keytables doesn't let you use CTRL or ALT
keypresses, so it limits things a bit. I also don't know if MythTV
will work with the Japanese characters, though I don't see why not.
(haven't had a chance to test yet)

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!