[mythtv-users] Help with documentation

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Tue Jul 7 09:42:39 UTC 2015

On 04/07/15 12:40, Philip Brady wrote:

> 2. There are a large number of interesting pages in the wiki which are
> not accessible by following links.  The indexing depends upon category
> tags at the end of the document but unfortunately these do not get
> updated in the parent page unless that is opened and re-saved.
> Permissions don’t always allow that.  I think it’s exacerbated by local
> caching or maybe whether the author is logged in.  He/she sees the
> parent updated but nobody else does.     Can that be automated or
> documented?   If there is there a way of listing those and going through
> them (and also the 'wanted' pages) as a 'start from the bottom' approach?

For the wanted pages part of this there is a link in the sidebar
"Wanted Pages" https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Special:WantedPages

> 3. What’s a good mechanism for authors and developers to communicate?  A
> new group under https://forum.mythtv.org/ perhaps? How do developers
> communicate?

We communicate via irc (#mythtv on freenode) or on the mythtv-dev
mailing list.

If it would help, I can create a section the forum for documentation
discussion.

> 4. I have often thought that some of the pages describe a lot of work
> done by some dedicated contributors and that there is something very
> valuable there.  Unfortunately, it’s often very difficult to work out
> what it does.  The commercial world I full of ‘it brings you happiness'
> but does not say how and Mythtv is sometimes the opposite – ‘here is the
> technical’ but no ‘what it does’.  Sorting that may need considerable tact!

Feel free to have a stab at it ;-)

> 5. I’ve seen a few pages where I recognise a shortcoming and/or know
> that it’s wrong but don’t know how to improve it.   Is there a mechanism
> for asking the author of that page to review it?

Don't know of one, maybe there is a mediawiki plugin we could use for
this?

> 6.  A bit of an aside:  I read these discussions on Gossamer threads but
> respond via hotmail.  Matching the two is not always easy, especially if
> I have had a hotmail tidy-up. Is there a more intuitive interface?

Intuitive? dunno, but we also have the lists archived at
http://lists.mythtv.org (as per the footer on these emails)

Regards
Stuart