[mythtv-users] From panicked to puzzled

Rick rbonafied at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 23:00:49 UTC 2015

On 07/06/2015 06:16 PM, Frank Phillips wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Rick <rbonafied at gmail.com
> <mailto:rbonafied at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/05/2015 10:38 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     >> On 6 Jul 2015, at 11:34 am, "Rick" <rbonafied at gmail.com
>     <mailto:rbonafied at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     >>
>     >> Hi,
>     >>
>     >> So I decided this long weekend was the right time to upgrade the
>     OS on
>     >> my DVR.  In hindsight, this may not have been the best decision.  :)
>     >>
>     >> I went from Mageia 3 to Mageia 5 and from 32bit to 64bit.  No
>     hardware
>     >> was changed.
>     >>
>     >> I have always compiled from the fixes branch myself.  It was both fun
>     >> and an interesting learning experience over the years. However, today
>     >> proved to be very stressful.  As usual, I updated my git repo,
>     installed
>     >> all the '-devel' packages for Mageia 5 and started the build.
>     The build
>     >> of the backend completed without issue.
>     >>
>     >> I installed the backend binaries to their usual location
>     (/usr/bin) and
>     >> brought it up.  Nothing unusual there.  Now it was time to install
>     >> mythweb and the frontend.  I decided to try mythweb first... that was
>     >> the first sign of trouble.  Mythweb took forever to show up and
>     when it
>     >> did, it gave a MYTHPROTO empty error and an unknown TIMEZONE error.
>     >> Very strange!
>     >>

> What do you mean by installed the binaries? You can't just copy binaries
> from a build directory because they need the libmyth* libraries that are
> built with them. If you're going to compile your own MythTV, it's best
> to create a package and then install that.

I apologize for my lack of clarity.  I was fairly burned out when I
wrote the original post.  I've been building using mythtv source for
about 8 years or so.  This is the build process I follow:

1) git update - For main mythtv source
2) run Configure (for me that means this command line:  ./configure
--prefix=/usr/local/mythtv.0.27 --disable-mythlogserver --enable-vdpau
--with-bindings=perl
3) make
4) make install (this is what I mean by install the binaries)
5) ldconfig as root (to update the cache of shared libraries)

6) git update - for plugins
7) run configure : ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mythtv.0.27
--disable-mythgame --enable-mythbrowser --enable-mythzoneminder
--enable-mythnetvision --enable-m
ythnews --disable-mythweather
8) make
9) make install