[mythtv-users] From panicked to puzzled

Rick rbonafied at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 21:51:49 UTC 2015

On 07/05/2015 10:38 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:

>> On 6 Jul 2015, at 11:34 am, "Rick" <rbonafied at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> So I decided this long weekend was the right time to upgrade the OS on
>> my DVR.  In hindsight, this may not have been the best decision.  :)
>>
>> I went from Mageia 3 to Mageia 5 and from 32bit to 64bit.  No hardware
>> was changed.
>>
>> I have always compiled from the fixes branch myself.  It was both fun
>> and an interesting learning experience over the years. However, today
>> proved to be very stressful.  As usual, I updated my git repo, installed
>> all the '-devel' packages for Mageia 5 and started the build.  The build
>> of the backend completed without issue.
>>
>> I installed the backend binaries to their usual location (/usr/bin) and
>> brought it up.  Nothing unusual there.  Now it was time to install
>> mythweb and the frontend.  I decided to try mythweb first... that was
>> the first sign of trouble.  Mythweb took forever to show up and when it
>> did, it gave a MYTHPROTO empty error and an unknown TIMEZONE error.
>> Very strange!
>>
>> Then I started the frontend.  Same weirdness.  It took forever to bring
>> up the recordings screen and when it did, there was nothing on it.  The
>> logs also showed a problem with the PROTO version being empty.
>>
>> I confirmed the database connections were fine and confirmed rows were
>> returned from queries.  As one more bonus, I decided to start the
>> frontend on my laptop.  The laptop hadn't been upgraded so that was a
>> good place to get an objective result.  Yep, you guessed it.  Same deal.
>> The laptop frontend couldn't determine the PROTO version either.
>>
>> This is when the panic set in.  The family was getting hostile.  (not
>> really but they would in time)
>>
>> Then I had a moment of clarity.  Since mageia's repos were reasonably up
>> to date, I decided to install the repo version of the backend.  It came
>> up fine (as did before).  Then the real test, I tried my laptop frontend
>> again.  IT WORKED!  Even though this wasn't my desired end state, at
>> least I knew I could get a backend running on the new OS.
>>
>> So the real question is, what was the original problem and how do I fix
>> it when I compile my own?
>>
>> Regards,

I'm using the latest 27 fixes branch as pulled from git.  The prior
version was also 27 from back in March.

Details:
Kernel 3.19.8

MythTV Version : v0.27.5-3-g9498257
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.27
Network Protocol : 77
Library API : 0.27.20150622-1
QT Version : 5.4.0
Options compiled in:
 linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse
using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_dvb using_frontend
using_hdhomerun using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu
using_libcrypto using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg
using_opengl using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript
using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr
using_profiletype using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
using_bindings_php using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vdpau
using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2