[mythtv-users] From panicked to puzzled

Rick rbonafied at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 02:03:15 UTC 2015

Hi,

So I decided this long weekend was the right time to upgrade the OS on
my DVR.  In hindsight, this may not have been the best decision.  :)

I went from Mageia 3 to Mageia 5 and from 32bit to 64bit.  No hardware
was changed.

I have always compiled from the fixes branch myself.  It was both fun
and an interesting learning experience over the years. However, today
proved to be very stressful.  As usual, I updated my git repo, installed
all the '-devel' packages for Mageia 5 and started the build.  The build
of the backend completed without issue.

I installed the backend binaries to their usual location (/usr/bin) and
brought it up.  Nothing unusual there.  Now it was time to install
mythweb and the frontend.  I decided to try mythweb first... that was
the first sign of trouble.  Mythweb took forever to show up and when it
did, it gave a MYTHPROTO empty error and an unknown TIMEZONE error.
Very strange!

Then I started the frontend.  Same weirdness.  It took forever to bring
up the recordings screen and when it did, there was nothing on it.  The
logs also showed a problem with the PROTO version being empty.

I confirmed the database connections were fine and confirmed rows were
returned from queries.  As one more bonus, I decided to start the
frontend on my laptop.  The laptop hadn't been upgraded so that was a
good place to get an objective result.  Yep, you guessed it.  Same deal.
 The laptop frontend couldn't determine the PROTO version either.

This is when the panic set in.  The family was getting hostile.  (not
really but they would in time)

Then I had a moment of clarity.  Since mageia's repos were reasonably up
to date, I decided to install the repo version of the backend.  It came
up fine (as did before).  Then the real test, I tried my laptop frontend
again.  IT WORKED!  Even though this wasn't my desired end state, at
least I knew I could get a backend running on the new OS.

So the real question is, what was the original problem and how do I fix
it when I compile my own?

Regards,