[mythtv-users] Fix found for IR receiver with mceusb in newer kernels

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 13:51:13 UTC 2015

References: <CA+SOsrQcDO5UzArzDOHhH0NEu1VADpRsHoTOnhqTKjJy9=74ng at mail.gmail.com> <682836388.20150621111006 at gmail.com> <CA+SOsrRazBDeuJH8_5B_f=ERRk1gYs=VwV5C0+xB85ubXVzz1w at mail.gmail.com> <CA+SOsrRSRB+sGGa4UvCK7-rA-uYuTCz5oZ_4vD2Z3c5w6XwG3w at mail.gmail.com> <i4ptoada182d4pgdsqohorlppib0tpifp7 at 4ax.com> <CA+SOsrRZ8gDrB7uVg_OdfFwjoJHEJw+KyQJTOfKPxwMCBiDk5g at mail.gmail.com> <67ttoapr74r7f2eofb6gvg2sp34b5snsle at 4ax.com> <CA+SOsrR8GAjjW6OAgC7CP3kC8Sz4Jg41VMdBA4MfSZR1e2pmpg at mail.gmail.com> <CAOQWjw2rygovr8Qcz3oax2CK=BPWqp=+1PXrbazFdGOQreck=g at mail.gmail.com> <CA+SOsrRWM5u7LhUwnCSf45DQ1Z=zYPcOGQG+zi5iS6v_sX-z9w at mail.gmail.com> <CAOQWjw0i2AbNMUr1trgzH=nRuhmvAovYofeRJ2ZOAL2BUwwNfw at mail.gmail.com> <CA+SOsrSyKri43+q4T=26LaTdRpi0G89BYUgFS2umzf=2pTocaQ at mail.gmail.com> <55903072.6070609 at gmail.com> <CA+SOsrS=1VMTaMjzcXy3VKu_O_gyDPx=Npg3=haOOWmGxL9whA at mail.gmail.com> <CA+SOsrR74CjtMynz4nCTTV01T43WHrY1WRHDsig2kUJxm0=3GA at mail.gmail.com> <55917230.5020006 at gmail.com> <20150629170452.49bdb339 at cs3.al.itld> <CA+
 SOsrRxUDuEgQaWo7-U9Z43JCjs+R0EAczNThNWb0UiGikbBA at mail.gmail.com> <CAAMCDefWm5nSWtq97nw0Xr+MAZsKvw5=6ZvwG17MFwx6=Q7fhg at mail.gmail.com> <CA+SOsrQ2dPeQE8MKgSj2FUuMb7wSGx3h12t-DOqmbXvgPEFYnA at mail.gmail.com>

Hoi Jerry,

Friday, July 3, 2015, 4:06:44 PM, you wrote:

>> On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Mike, I've been running this setup (tv, a/v receiver, etc), in this
>> > room for years.  The only difference between totally working and
>> > totally not working is swapping in a different frontend computer with
>> > a newer version of mythbuntu.  No other moved/added/removed devices.
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 1:50 PM Roger Heflin <rogerheflin at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> I had to modify the a kernel driver for xhci to get mine to work.
>> 3.16.6 did not work without the change.
>>
>> I have not been able to update kernels last time I tried as the newer
>> kernels don't yet have the modification included last time I checked.
>>
>> I think I posted the fix someplace, if not yell and I can probably
>> figure out the change that I made.  Without the change lirc did "see"
>> keypresses but none of it made any sense (garbled stuff).
>>

> I can verify that making Roger's change to the usb core fixes the issue.

> To summarize, an older USB IR receiver will not work when plugged into a
> USB2 or USB3 port that is using xHCI.  Bits will be dropped and scancodes
> will not be received properly.  This is below the level of lirc or
> ir-keytables.  I know it happens in 14.04 and later versions.

> Patching config.c in drivers/usb/core fixes the issue (changing a line that
> says n = 32 to n = 10) and compiling a new kernel.

> Now my only problem is that after recompiling I no longer have any files in
> /sys/class/rc.  So I can use lirc, but not ir-keytable.  A wrong kernel
> config option?  Dunno.

> -Jerry

If you recompile your kernel, you also have to recompile any external
modules. Like from lirc or nvidia.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven