[mythtv-users] Strange resolution problem

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Jul 4 17:54:34 UTC 2015

On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 10:51:26 -0500, you wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Jul 2015 01:32:39 +1200
>Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 06:25:11 -0500, you wrote:

>> >There are modeline calculators, online and probably in Ubuntu
>> >Software Center.
>>
>> When the projector is in the right mode, try running
>>
>>   xrandr -q --verbose
>>
>> from a terminal window.  That gives you a lot (all?) of the data you
>> need for a modeline.  The output on my system includes a dump of my
>> TV's EDID data, which is just effectively a set of modelines to use
>> with the TV.  It is possible with nvidia-settings to dump the EDID
>> data to a file, then change xorg.conf so that it uses that file
>> instead of the data over the HDMI or DVI cable (which my possibly be
>> being read unreliably).  Then set up xorg.conf to lock the display
>> mode to the modeline (or modelines) in the EDID data that you want the
>> projector to use.
>
>If EDID is read unreliably how xrandr can get it? :)

That is why I said to run xrandr when the mode was correct, so it
would get the good EDID data (if it is in fact an EDID problem that is
causing the mode changes).

>However, there is get-edid
>http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man1/get-edid.1.html

I have never used get-edid.  I have used nvidia-settings and I know
that works.  The resulting file can be used with xorg.conf.

>Holy macro, I even didn't know Forte Agent is still alive!

Of course it is.  V8.0 now.