[mythtv-users] Fix found for IR receiver with mceusb in newer kernels

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 14:06:44 UTC 2015

wrote:

> I had to modify the a kernel driver for xhci to get mine to work.
> 3.16.6 did not work without the change.
>
> I have not been able to update kernels last time I tried as the newer
> kernels don't yet have the modification included last time I checked.
>
> I think I posted the fix someplace, if not yell and I can probably
> figure out the change that I made.  Without the change lirc did "see"
> keypresses but none of it made any sense (garbled stuff).

I can verify that making Roger's change to the usb core fixes the issue.

To summarize, an older USB IR receiver will not work when plugged into a
USB2 or USB3 port that is using xHCI.  Bits will be dropped and scancodes
will not be received properly.  This is below the level of lirc or
ir-keytables.  I know it happens in 14.04 and later versions.

Patching config.c in drivers/usb/core fixes the issue (changing a line that
says n = 32 to n = 10) and compiling a new kernel.

Now my only problem is that after recompiling I no longer have any files in
/sys/class/rc.  So I can use lirc, but not ir-keytable.  A wrong kernel
config option?  Dunno.

-Jerry