[mythtv-users] Mythtv 0.27.04 kills video playback with Radeon 7750?

plainface boy plainfaceboy at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 31 18:22:26 UTC 2015

> On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 7:17 PM, Eric B <bernhart2002 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What driver are you using? the open source driver or the AMD driver?
> > The open source driver is much better, you but probably need to to install
> > the VDPAU kernel module to get it working well with mythtv.
> > there are directions in the wiki about how to do it.
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU
> > but the short version to get it working in ubuntu 14.04 is
> >  sudo apt-get install mesa-vdpau-drivers vdpauinfo
> > then test is with
> > vdpauinfo
> > from there all you need to do setup the video play back in mythtv to vpdauu
> > Anyhow let me know if you have more problems and I'll try to walk you through it.

So I have xorg-edgers PPA and the radeon driver from there.
I installed Mythtv, 0.27 and VDPAU (as above).

vdpauinfo said;
display: :0   screen: 0
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Error creating VDPAU device: 1

but I tried Mythtv anyway and it worked ok!
Changed to VDPAU in frontend set up/video/playback - and it failed to initialize, but back on normal or HQ, and all OpenGL settings it works fine.
In fact everything worked fine - so I added the 0.27 PPA in mythbuntu control centre and updated to 0.27.04.
Now mythtv still plays back ok - recordings, videos, live tv etc...
....*But* my backend set-up freezes whenever I choose a menu.
Frontend menu works OK  - apart from the set up  -audio, -video. -general and -appearance  menus. themes, media settings ok.

So I have a 'sort of' working system, but now need to get the set up menus working again?
Any ideas?